RE: MGB oiling problems?

To: Larry list account <list@marketvalue.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB oiling problems?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
> Let me introduce you to racing.  You wrote, "One
> solution was to use a
> special brass oil pump gear which is sacrificial and
> needs to be changed
> every sixteen hours (yikes)."  I would say after 16
> race hours a competitive
> MGB engine must be torn down anyway.

Sorry, I was unclear in my original post.  I have no
intention of building an 8000 RPM full race engine, as
this "introduction to racing" would imply.  My car is
going to be a dual-purpose street and track car.  As a
result, changing the oil pump gear every sixteen hours
(which would be necessary no matter how hard the car
was running, because of its "sacrificial" nature) is
not an option.  WAY too big a PITA.  The engine will
be built largely stock, but with some mild tuning
mostly in the interests of reliability, not power.  I
imagine my upper RPM range is going to be 6000-6500 at
the very most.

Under these conditions, am I likely to experience the
problem I originally referenced?  Will the steel oil
pump gear damage the steel cam gear that it runs off
of?

Thanks again,

=====
Paul Misencik