Re: MGB door locks

To: "Randy Widman" <rwidman@woh.rr.com>
Subject: Re: MGB door locks
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:09:12 -0700
Randy,

I have got good advice from Paul (the UK bloke) who said the latch has TWO
clicks to lock.  I was messing about with it on the first click (to hold)
and at this point would not allow the lock arms to slide into lock
position.  When I did put mechanism (in my hand) into second lock it all
worked fine.  Now I have not had time to install the lock and see if it
still works but I see no reason why it should not.  However, I think my,
and your problem, is probably because the set up of the B pillar latch is
not getting far enough into the mechanism.  SO... one must adjust so that
the door latch goes deeper into the B pillar one !!  Make sense!!  As a
test open your door and push the latch on the door back so that it clicks
TWICE - then see if it locks!

Thanks Paul !!!!!!!!

At 01:35 PM 10/11/2003 -0400, Randy Widman wrote:
>Barrie,
>
>I've got the same problem you have on my drivers side latch. My passenger
>side works fine. As I kept playing with it, it seems like there must be a
>round torsion spring inside the mechanism at the pivot point for the large
>tab used by the push button door opener and that torsion spring is becoming
>worn out (makes sense on mine cause it's the drivers door latch). It is worn
>just enough so as not to spring the lever back ALL THE WAY flush to allow
>the locking tab to slide down. I worked with mine with silicone spray for
>about half an hour to see if it would get looser and move farther, but to no
>avail. If I can get some type of small file in there I'm going to try and
>file back the little lever where the locking tab HITS IT NOW and maybe that
>will give the locking tab more clearance and therefore work. If you come up
>with a different fix please let me know. Good Luck.
>
>Randy Widman
>79 Red B

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
barrier@bconnex.net

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Latch2.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]