hard top parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: hard top parts
From: "Rob Geskey" <rob_geskey@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:56:22 +0000
The parts that David has found are just the windows I am sure.  Victoria
British was selling just the Plexiglas for around $50 per side.   I went
through this not long ago.  I had mine made at a local plastics specialty
shop.  They did a fairly decent job and only required me to do the fine
finishing for fit.  The choices were Plexiglas or lexan.  I chose Plexiglas
because it has a harder surface than lexan.  Lexan does have a much higher
tensile strength however.

I did try having the windows made from glass to avoid future replacement,
but when I went to pick them up, they were already cracked!  They would not
let me have my frames until I paid them for the glass cutting since they
agreed to "try" to make them.  The same people who made those lost one of my
brackets and of course I will never be doing business with that shop again.

I am also short one of the brackets that hold the frames together and have
not found any available on this earth of ours yet!  Thinking of taking the
one from the other side to a machine shop, but can see the $$$$$$$$ flying
to have just one made!  The one I am missing has compound bends with 6
threaded holes that fits in the top corner.

The window assemblies are available as a reproduction item from The Roadster
Factory at about $160 per side as I recall from a current catalog just sent
to me.  I will look up the part numbers if anyone needs them.  It would be
nice if someone would make these again!  Old screws seem to snap in them
when trying to disassemble them.  If anyone has any more information, I am
sure David and myself would appreciate hearing from you.

Hmmm...one last thought.... If the Roadster Factory ones are true
reproductions....just maybe...maybe the brackets would fit...and maybe..just
maybe they would sell them???  Ummm...maybe not.

Best Regards,

Rob

Home of many Bs

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!