Re: Straight 40

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Straight 40
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:41:33 -0700
I'll have to agree with Max. Because as I mentioned in my email, I remember
being reluctant to using multi-viscosity oils back in the late 70s, because
they were new and I was a skeptic. And yes, it does not really matter at
all under some conditions. The idea behind the multi-viscosity oils is that
they would really maintain a certain viscosity under a large temperature
range instead of being really thick when cold and thin when hot. This
particularly happens in really cold temperatures when I remember how the
40w oil I used to use would not pour out of the container when it got near
zero degrees (F) or so. The multi-viscosity oils have a much lower pour
point as we call it. For you guys that live were it really doesn't get
cold, I doubt you would see much difference between a 30W or 40W oil and
20/50 under normal use.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B