Re: Straight 40

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Straight 40
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:38:02 -0800
If the climate is suitable, I see no problem running single-weight oil. 40w
sounds high, but then you do live in a desert <g>.

On a related subject, I recently unearthed some information to support the
contention that one should use single-weight oil in the gearbox (30w rather
than 20w50). 20w50 is apparenty essentially 20w oil stock with viscosity
improving additives. These additives have their greatest effect under high
pressure and sheer conditions (as in main bearings) and don't really have
any effect under splash oiling (as in a gearbox). Moreover, these additives
break down relatively quickly. In an engine, with frequent changes, this is
insignificant; but in a gearbox, one would basically be running 20w oil
after, say, 10K miles. How often do most people change the gearbox oil?
Think about it.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149