Re: Headlight Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headlight Question
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:38:56 -0800 (PST)
Max Heim SEZ -
> Makes sense to me -- how fast should you be driving in fog, anyway?

Well, maybe I was a little optimistic when I said 20 MPH.  I originally
wrote 10 MPH then changed it.  :-)  We seldom have *really* thick fog
around here.  Although I remember one New Year's Day, about 3 AM, I
was driving home from a friend's house and never got about 5 MPH the
whole way.  If I'd known the fog was that thick all the way home
I'd have turned around and gone back.  What a night be to driving
with low visibility!  I never saw more than one dashed centerline
ahead of me most of the way.  In visibility like that, those lights
would have been ideal.  I had an amber Hella foglight on my MGB,
and its cutoff was about 25 feet in front of the car.  That was a
little more useful for the "heavy" fog we have around here, where
your visibility is more like 50-100 feet.

--
David Breneman
Distributed Systems Software Analyst

DHL/Airborne Express
3101 Western Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121

Phone:  +1-206-830-4253
Fax:    +1-206-830-4432

david.breneman@dhl.com

(This .sig is greater than 4 lines as mandated by company policy.)