Re: Headlight Question

To: David Breneman <idcb@airborne.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headlight Question
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:06:31 -0800 (PST)
> > Of course, the fallacy of the proliferation of
> > factory installed front fog
> > lights is that they only work when the headlights
> > are on.

> my Evil Dolphin Choking SUV (Chev TrailBlazer)
> is able to run with the fog lights on
> while the headlights are turned off.  It
> has the "Canadian headlights" that come on
> whenever the truck is in gear with the parking
> brake off.  The only problem with these fog
> lights is that the cut-off is so short,
> they're only good under about 20 MPH.

I find this kinda stuff so godawfully stupid it makes
me laugh out loud!  Our various governments protecting
us from ourselves, and in the meantime totally
screwing everything up in more ways than we could even
imagine!  And nowhere is it more apparent than with
lights!

You can have fog lights!  But you can't use them on
their own!  They have to be on with the headlights!
But not the high-beams!  High beams and fog lights are
BAD.  VERY BAD!!  Fog lights alone are also BAD!  Fog
lights and low beams together are GOOD!  Oh, Wait!
But only at parking lot speeds!  Above 20 miles per
hour they become BAD AGAIN!

What's that?  You want to install a Playstation 2 in
your dashboard?  NO PROBLEM!  You want to slap a
gigantic decal across your back window, completely
obscuring your rearward vision?  GO FOR IT!  But don't
you dare let your fog lights work without the
headlights!

I mean, what the %^$#! is going on here?  Can't I just
decide for my own ^&*%$ing self when I should have my
own ^&%$#ing lights on?  And in what combination?
Have we determined that we are SO STUPID as a society
that we can no longer be trusted to make even the
simplest decisions?  If so, when did this happen?
What makes us so much less capable now than we
apparently were just a generation ago?

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to pick
up and move to New Zealand.  (I'm sure someone is
going to write me from New Zealand telling me what
stupid laws they have there, but for some reason I
have this idyllic image in my mind of New Zealand
being relatively free from this kind of nonesense.
It's just one more way I have built New Zealand up in
my mind as some kind of paradise...)

At any rate, I'm not playing along.  Anytime I hook up
any kind of auxilliary lighting to my car, it's wired
hot.  If I decide to sit in a parking lot with the key
off and the driving lights blazing my battery into a
crusty boat anchor, then that's my choice, dang it!
If I want to drive around with my fog lights on and no
other lights of any kind, that's my choice, dang it.
It might not be smart, and it might not even be legal,
but I'm sure as heck going to make certain it's
POSSIBLE!

Tomorrow's rant:  Mandatory airbags.

=====
Paul Misencik