Re: Rear Shock Kit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Kit
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:48:32 EST
In a message dated 11/13/03 1:58:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Keep in mind that the coil over kit is a verboten modification in many race
> groups.

My .02 from an old racer.

Converting to tube shocks definitely falls into the "I've got money burning a
hole in my wallet and need to do something neat to the car" category.

It will not make termendous improvements in the car, although it may add
significantly to your bragging rights.

I've played around with both Armstrong and tube conversions for several
decades now, on and off the track, and can say that factory suspension with
suitable shock valves and sway bars works within a gnat's whisker of any tube
conversion.

At least Moss offers a decent front conversion - the offset abortions others
offer aren't worth even thinking about.

So Kelvin is right - most racing groups do not allow non-stock suspension to
that degree, anyway, but we don't lose sleep over it as there is nothing to be
gained anyway.

Most of the guys I talk to who rave about the conversions simply don't
realise that they are NOT saying "The tube conversion is far superior to the
original" - they are not in any position to know that.  What they ARE saying is
"The
new tube conversion beats the heck out of the worn out crap that was on the
car before".

Bill
(3 MGs all Armstrong except the C with front Konis - rear tubes won't fit
past the dual exhaust on that car, we looked at it once) And BTW,
she-who-must-be-obeyed is happy - we just built a carport for her MGC and stuck
the goofy
"MGC Parking Only" sign someone gave her on it - hope no one can see it......