Re: Stubborn brake hoses (79 B)

To: "Keith G." <k2@gernertzone.com>
Subject: Re: Stubborn brake hoses (79 B)
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:21:05 -0500
There is only one problem here as I see it.  In my experience, a flare nut
wrench will only fit on a nut that is in near perfect condition.  Since it
is designed to be a tighter fit, and to grab on five sides (and all six
corners) any distortion to the nut and the wrench will not fit onto it, or
it may only fit in one orientation.  It sounds to me like at this point you
should get a serious grip on it with locking pliers and try to knock it
loose with a hammer, otherwise you may have to start thinking about drilling
it out.  Definitely pick up the flare nut wrenches for the new lines though
because the brass fittings are so easy to round off with a regular wrench.

Sorry, I don't recall the size off hand, but you will use almost every size
in the set on various fittings throughout the car, so just get the set now
and it will be cheaper in the long run.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8