Re: stuck key

To: Petern Ryner <pryner@JoiMail.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stuck key
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:59:04 -0600
Petern Ryner wrote:

> Help please,
> I have a 72 MGB chrome bumper and the ignition key became stuck last night.
> I had the car running to charge the battery and went to turn it off.  The
> car turned off, but the key is now stuck and I can't turn it at all.  The
> steering wheel still turns so it is not locked.  Any experience on how to
> turn/remove the key?  I certainly don't want to force it fearing the key
> will break....

A few things to try:

1. Get some dry graphite powder lube (hardware store) and see if you can
  get any in around the key in the lock. It comes in a little tube so
you can squeeze the tube with the nozzle next to the key while trying to
wiggle the key a little bit.

2. Gently whack the key toward the lock using an old spoon or a butter
knife or something that's fairly light. You want to shock the key and
the lock innards without doing any damage. There's a pretty good chance
this will unjam the lock. You might have to tap on it for a while before
it lets go.

3. Most locksmiths will do service calls for around twenty bucks plus
the repair cost during business hours. It usually goes up to $50 at night.

-Rock
--
Tulsa LIBERTYFEST, Dec. 21st, 2003: http://www.tulsalibertyfest.com
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us