stuck key

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: stuck key
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@JoiMail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:38:52 -0500
Thanks for all of the great suggestions.  I found that my bentley manual
described how to remove the lock mechanism.  Unfortunately it consisted of
using a easy out to remove the two screws holding the assembly to the
column.  Actually, it was a breeze to remove.  A little drilling and the
easy out took the two screws out with little resistance.  As soon as the
assembly was removed, the key moved and was removed easily.  Now the bad
news - for me.  I had removed the set screw and the wiring assembly from the
left side of the ignition assembly, but did not check to see if the key
would then work.  I should have because it would have worked fine--without
removing the assembly from the column.  It turned out to be the electrical
plug assembly that was causing the problem, not the key side!  The key
wouldn't move or be removed because it was locked in place.  All I have to
do now is to find a new electrical plug assy and a couple of screws to put
back in the lock assy.  Thanks again to all for the great advice.  Great
list!
Pete