Re: Refreshing the Tatty 'B

To: "Eric" <eric@erickson.on.net>, "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Refreshing the Tatty 'B
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:44:03 -0000
Both these areas are likely to be corrosion from the inside, and if left can
take the sills as well.  The lower part of both front and rear wings between
the wheels is actually a sill cover panel with a very small gap between the
two panels.  This makes it difficult for Waxoyl or similar to penetrate
unless the panels are very warm and the Waxoyl very runny.  Often it can
just bridge the top of the gap which allows moisture to build up in the gap
which will start new corrosion of MIG-welded replacement panels almost
immediately.  When replacing these 1/4-panels (I've replaced all four rears
and one front on my two cars now) I use weld-through primer before
installation and clean engine oil or very thin Waxoyl afterwards injected
with an oil gun and not sprayed.  You might like to have a look at
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_bodyframe.htm and click on '1/4-panel
Replacement'.

PaulH.