Re: Valve cover for MGB

To: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>,
Subject: Re: Valve cover for MGB
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:40:24 -0000
Hi Hans,

The fact you have a canister shouldn't make any difference, the carbs will
suck air through the engine anyway, whether this comes via the vented oil
filler cap on a non-emissions engine or the canister shouldn't make any
difference.  Shouldn't spit as such when cold, but if it hesitates when
accelerating this is normal for a cold engine and so using a bit of choke
again is normal.  You can set the fast idle screws so that you get
'comfortable' revs during warmup i.e. not racing or stalling.  As far as
tending to stall in summer mine used to do much the same thing.  Increasing
the idle screws is the obvious answer, but when switching off immediately
after driving when the revs were a bit higher than 'normal' it ran-on like
mad.  Keeping the idle at the normal rate meant it could stall on a long
hold, and certainly start developing a very rough idle, so I used to use a
bit of fast idle when stuck in traffic.  But now I have the ultimate in
anti-runon systems I have the idle screws set such that the revs are a bit
higher than normal immediately after driving which I barely notice, but then
after idling for a while they just drop to the normal level and it doesn't
stall or shudder.  I think this is due to mixture changes as the carbs heat
up when standing, the HIFs have a thermally compensated jet and don't seem
to suffer from the same problem, on the V8 at least.

Cheers,
Paul.