RE: What I don't know about carbs.-long, sorry

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <BarrMark262@aol.com>
Subject: RE: What I don't know about carbs.-long, sorry
From: "Marc" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:23:11 -0500
I went through a similar experience last year. Two sets of carbs, I thought
they were all bad! You don't say what type of carbs, my experience relates
to HIF's. Anyway, my problem was pretty much the same as yours.

Most probable cause is massive vacuum leaks, as has been mentioned to you. I
had leaks around the intake manifold, between the manifold and carbs also.
Even though I had a new manifold gasket. I had my intake manifold
belt-sanded at the shop to insure a flat mating surface. Use a new gasket,
with a smidge of sealer & properly torque it down.

Start the engine, and while it's running, spray carb cleaner at the junction
of the manifold/engine, base of carbs, etc. Change in engine speed will
indicate the presence of a vacuum leak.

Also, on HIF's, there are two ports on the carb (maybe more?). The vacuum
port, which goes to the distributor, should be plugged, or connected. The
engine *should* run either way, but a leak is not desirable. There is also a
vent port, which goes to the vapor cannistor. Do NOT plug that one, as your
HIF's will flood.

I got TONS of good advice here, you might want to check the archives, as I'm
sure you'll find a lot of relevent info!

Hope that helps
--
Marc Siegel, Charm Net LLC  eMail: smarc@abs.net
Baltimore, MD  http://www.abs.net      voice: 410/361-8160