Re: MGB engine removal

To: Jp Plank <moonshine327@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB engine removal
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:50:59 US/Mountain
I don't know if it is the best point, but the typical thing to do is buy
two "engine lifting brackets." that are fixxed to the valve cover hold
down studs.  I don't want to advocate any one supplier, but if you go to
moss's website under engine heads, you can see a picture of it as part 386-
745.  That's the standard practice.  I've seen those studs bend pretty
good from it though.  Further, you may need a load balancer on your hoist
(or something like the "tilt lift" also available from moss, part 386-
730).  They're expensive, but can be well worth the money.  I know on my
MGA, it is really hard to get the engine out without a device to change
the tilt as it comes out.  It's even harder to put it back in without it.
The MGB isn't as difficult.

Phil Bates
'58 MGA
'67 MGB