RE: MGB engine removal

To: "'James Harwood'" <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB engine removal
From: "Matthew Hale" <haleme@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:22:46 -0500
I can only assume it is engine and transmission removal.  I can't imagine
removing one without the other.  I had no idea where to put the mounts for
the lift, so, I used an exhaust manifold hole one side and the rear
generator mount on the other.  That seemed to work and I didn't bend or
break anything.

Another tip I found when removing the power train unit is the correct
placement of a rolling floor jack, as illustrated here:
http://projectmgb.phathookups.com/images/DSC01046.JPG
 Once the PTU has moved forward enough that the rear of the transmission
clears the center cross member, raise the engine.  Then place the rear of
the transmission on the rolling floor jack under and start moving forward.
Makes a nice pivot point and takes a small amount of strain off the lift
mount points.  I still believe this is strictly a two person job.

Matthew
67B (in the process of welding in new sills!)