Re: MGB engine removal

To: mmorris@nemr.net
Subject: Re: MGB engine removal
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:20:45 -0500
Monte,
   Sure, that would work.  You need to have the bonnet off or completely
upright to have the overhead clearance for the come-along, but the
balance of the engine&gearbox assembly is such that your method would
work OK.   The principal advantage of the tilt device is for working by
oneself.  With a helper, the tilt device is nice but you don't need it if
helper can lift and tug a bit.
   What's scary to me is the use of those two little studs to support the
weight.  I know the tensile strength of the studs is 5,000+ lbs per
square inch, that there are two of them, that most people lift engines
this way,  but they still appear small to me, and their tendency to bend
is a concern.   I liked the suggestion someone made of putting bolts into
other holes in the heads---seems a more robust approach. I like the use
of nylon cargo straps, but they have the disadvantage that they support
the engine from underneath, so you have to secure them in such a way that
the engine can't try to turn itself over.  A piece of rope binding them
to the head will suffice for this.
Bob