Re: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover

To: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Subject: Re: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:58:44 -0000
It definitely is not normal although it can be difficult to get a good seal.
Is it definitely coming from round the seal?  Or is the cover cracked, the
crack being closed with the cover off but opening when tightened.  Is the
breather pipe cracked?  Is the pipe clear or has the gauze flame trap.oil
separator behind it got bunged up with solidified gunge?

I've found in the past that silicone sealant causes gaskets to get squeezed
out of position so I don't like it.  Some also 'skin' very quickly in air,
in the time it takes to get a bead all the way round.  I use Hermetite Red.

I realise you did it to try and cure a leak but unless you allow air in to
the rocker cover, either via the charcoal canister or a vented oil filler
cap if no canister, as well as sucking on it from the carbs, you will not
get adequate ventilation and in most cases condensation will build up
causing internal corrosion and that creamy scum on the oil filler cap.  If
the canister has been removed you should block off the rocker cover port and
replace the non-vented oil filler cap with a vented one as this filters the
air as well as restricting it.

PaulH.