Re: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover

To: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Subject: Re: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:17:15 -0600
Hi Wellner,

   If you can't get a consistent idle speed from day to day after you've
gone through and synchronized the carbs, it's usually bacause the
throttle butterfly shafts are worn, causing an air leak at each shaft.
This usually occurrs at the bottom of the inside ends of the shafts
because of the side loads from the throttle return springs.  Disconnect
the return springs and check for side play, mostly up and down.  If you
can feel any play, there's a leak.

   If it's just the shafts that are badly worn, as in my case, you can
correct this by replacing the shafts.  If the bushings are badly worn
too, you can install oversize shafts after reaming the bushings.  Or,
you can send the carb bodies off to be rebushed and new shafts fitted.
We have a couple of list members who provide this service.

   Cheers,

    CR