Re: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover

To: "Paul Hunt (T)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:21:36 -0600
Paul,

    I'm the one referenced below, however, I used cork gaskets because I
don't trust the rubber ones.  I didn't mention that I let the sealant
dry to a tacky feel before I assembled the parts.  This was done in an
effort to keep the gaskets from squeezing out when the covers were
assembled to the block.

   Paul Hunt (T) wrote:
>  On another
> thread someone mentioned using silicone sealant and only lightly tightening,
> then leaving overnight before fully tightening.  I mentioned elsewhere that
> I have removed my covers once in the past, and refitted them using the same
> cork gaskets and Hermetite Red, and they didn't leak before or after.

Wellner,

    How much flow is there from the tappet cover vent tube? Does it feel
like there's a great deal of positive pressure in the crankcase?  Did
you unplug the valve cover vent before you started the engine initially?
Did you replace the rubber O-ring under the tappet cover bolt?

   One other thing I'm curious about; did the high idle problem go away
when you disconnected and plugged the hose from the tappet cover?

   Cheers,

    CR