Re: joining gear shift gaiter and boot

To: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: joining gear shift gaiter and boot
From: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:01:07 -0800 (PST)
--- "Paul Hunt (T)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
> That *is* tight.  It surprises me, as I would have
> expected the rubber
> gaiter to have concertina'd and it and the leather
> gaiter to have slid down
> the lever.  Can you push them down by hand or are
> they somehow locked in
> position at the top?

I can push it down, but it just expands back up.
The rubber boot seems a bit oversize to me, makes the
gaiter look bloated. The flange of the boot is so
thick that I cannot get the front screw of the trim
ring to even start a thread. And the outside edge of
the ring is a good 0.125" up from the console.

> The problem with more holes
> nearer the edge is that
> your first set of holes are likely to be pulled out
> from under the chrome
> ring.

True, but then the new leather seats have perforated
centre panels, so the gaiter won't look too out of
place <g>

James
'74 B