Re: RBB & Dobermans

To: aschneider@shaw.ca
Subject: Re: RBB & Dobermans
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:56:52 -0500
Hi Aubrey,
   Large dogs and MGBs go well together.   Large dogs in MGBs ensure that
nobody else goes off with your car; keys may be left in ignition with
impunity.
   Dogs are still dogs, pursuit animals at heart, so a leash that
restrains them from an instinctive squirrel pursuit is important.  Even
the most calm dog can get spooked.
   Example,  I had an Akita that travelled with me in my '75 MGB
thousands of miles.  This dog went to office daily, and on day trips all
over Florida with me.  One day, crossing the Sunshine Skyway bridge
between St Pete and Bradenton,  the dog, who had made this crossing
easily 50 times, suddenly seemed to realise that we were on a bridge,
several hundred feet in the air, that danger was to hand and the safest
thing to do was to jump out of the MGB.   Now that was a struggle--one
hand on collar, one on steering wheel, 90 lb dog trying to scramble over
the door.  Once off the bridge and back on the causeway, dog was fine,
but it was an exciting time at altitude. After that, I had two leashes on
the collar, lashed to seat frame.
Bob