RE: making power above 3800 rpm?

To: "'Jon Tabor'" <sentar@www.nwscan.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: making power above 3800 rpm?
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:04:56 -0500
Jon:

Yeah. I understand the religious debate thing. I'm somewhat of a computer
geek too, aka Windows vs Mac. You can easily incite the same here on the
list sometimes too.

I ran the stock twin SU's that came on a 73 model. I've driven a couple of
other cars with a Weber DCOE  (don't recall if they were the model 45) on
them and my experience is that low end power was lost and you had to rev the
Hell out of them to get any power. May be that these other cars that I drove
with the DCOE's weren't jetted/tuned right or something (one was an older
Alfa of similar engine size to the 1800 CC B engine) but I don't think so. I
personally believe it is a trait of the carb and its all out design for
power at top RPM. Some motors are made for high RPM and can utilize the DCOE
design. An MG is NOT designed that way. If you run the B wide open for
racing all the time, the DCOE will probably be appropriate - but for every
day street driving, if you do the other stuff I mentioned, I believe that
you'll be happier with the SU's.

I'm long out of it and my experience comes from the era when B's were still
being made new but I believe I've advised you right here. IMHO. I'm sure
others will let you know their opinions too, now that I've put myself in
harm's way expressing myself here. Flame away listers. Jon Tabor need the
help!

Still pokin around the ol MG list.

Jerry

Jerry Erbesfield