RE: making power above 3800 rpm?

To: Jerry Erbesfield <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: making power above 3800 rpm?
From: Jon Tabor <sentar@www.nwscan.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:53:46 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Jerry Erbesfield wrote:

> model B, which had higher compression to start with, I bored it .060 over
> (that's pretty much the limit and you gotta be lucky to get away with that
> much), put in earlier model flat top pistons and I milled the head
> substantially (don't recall exactly how much).

May I ask what carb you ran on that bad boy?  I purchased for a few
dollars a 70 BGT that sat through a flood, but the engine is .060 over and
had many of the goodies done to the head that you described as having done
to yours.  It came with a 45DCOE on it, and reports of when it ran said
that it was scary quick.

After reading this list for a while, I've come away with the thought that
perhaps a couple of SU's would be better for a street driving machine.  I
know I'm opening a religious debate here (ala vi vs emacs in the Unix
world), but wanted to get some real world thoughts.  I haven't cracked
open the engine yet or taken it to anybody to find out exactly what was
indeed done to it, but I was told by the my friend, who was the PO (who
was told by the PPO) that the head had been ported, polished, and relieved
at the same time as the engine had been rebuilt.

--
Jon Tabor