Re: Looking for contact info

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for contact info
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:35:11 -0700
on 4/7/04 9:05 AM, TJ Tryon, Jr. at tjt@insightbb.com wrote:

> I'll be flying out to Newburg, NY this weekend to drive the MGB back.  It's
> running well, so there should be no issues.  In case there are some forseen
> issues, I would appreciate people who may live along the way that I can use
> as an emergency contact.  I'll be taking I84 from Newburg to Scranton, PA,
> then I81 to I80.  I'll be taking I80 to Acron, OH, I71 to Columbus, then I70
> on in to Indianapolis.
>
> If you live on the route, or nearby, and don't mind, I'd love your phone
> number, which I promise to not pass out to anyone else, nor will I crank
> call or peep into your window in the middle of the night...   *grin*
>
> This is a 73 MGB with Overdrive.  Anything I need to know about it?

It should NEVER be engaged when backing up. The safety switch is supposed to
turn it off anytime the lever is not in 3rd or 4th gear, but that is
assuming the safety switch is functioning correctly. Best to confirm this.

> Suggestions on vehicle "supplies" to take along the trip (aside from a case
> of oil and a 5 gal. can of gas, hopefully which I will never need).

2 gallon jugs of water and something to repair hoses with (duct tape?).
Spare fan belt. Fuses. Remember to put air in the spare tire. What condition
is the top in?  You might need a rain suit (a steady drip from the
windshield header onto the driver's lap is not uncommon).

> How big
> is the engine in it, and how fast can I safely (engine wise) push the car
> for a long trip?

All MGBs have a 1798cc (nominally 1800) engine. The engine is not going to
be the limiting factor or chief concern regarding speed (unless it is in
very poor shape). It should run all day at 3500rpm, which in OD exceeds the
speed limit. My guess is tires, brakes, and front wheel balance and
alignment are more likely to be considerations.

> Any idea what the milage capacity for the gas tank is?

I would expect over 300 miles per tank on the highway, but don't assume that
of a car in unknown condition. You have basically a 14 gallon tank, and a
stock condition B will return over 30mpg, driven moderately.

Good luck.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149