Re: Crankshaft pulley removal

To: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crankshaft pulley removal
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:30:04 -0500
James Harwood wrote:

>I see the washer, but it appears to be bent back into
>a recess in the pulley rather than over the bolt.
>
>So the bolt should come out, but doesn't seem to want
>to move. Perhaps I should try applying some heat?

Nope. Don't do that. Check that washer all the way 'round. It's supposed to
lock the bolt in place.

Can't remember the MG direction of normal rotation, but on Minis, you just set
a wrench on the bolt and engage the starter, which loosens the bolt. If the MG
engine turns clockwise as seen from the front, the method should work.

I lost most of my mail recently, so I'm not sure what your situation is. Am I
correct in assuming you want to remove the bolt that holds the harmonic
balancer onto the crankshaft without removing the engine?

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us