Hesitation under power solved

To: Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hesitation under power solved
From: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 03:48:57 +0000
Listers,
I've been dealing with a problem for a month now and have been paying
attention to all the postings on hesitation and rough running.  My 70B
roadster has been breaking up, hesitating when rpm's are raised suddenly
over 2500.  I first thought it might be in the distributor, so one at a time
I replaced the points, rotor, condenser, dizzy cap and fuel filter, each
thing made a slight improvement (so I thought)then spark plug wires and
things got worse again.  So I changed the spark plugs.  Well that made a big
improvement but not perfect.  So I cleaned the K&N filters and re-oiled
them.  Wow, that really did it.  They were filthy.  But, after a 35 minute
run I went into the house to get something while the engine idled. Just
before I got back in, it stalled. Now what!  I tried to restart and nothing.
  (All along I also suspected the fuel pump might be failing) I opened the
bonnet and looked at the fuel filter, no gas. That does it,  I pulled the
new fuel pump off my 69C that's being restored and put it on.  Bingo, the
fuel filter filled immediately for the first time since I've had the car
(1999).  That stupid fuel pump has been failing for 5 years slowly but
surely.   It never stopped clicking that whole time(5 years).  That means it
never had enough pressure to fill the fuel filter.
The new one builds up pressure and stops clicking within seconds. Amazing, I
thought I had some stupid after market pump on there all this time.  What a
ride tonight with the top down, stars out and smooth running. I can't wait
for tomorrows club event, we are going to the Reading Air Museum. I will be
flying high with a great running 70 MGB topless (-;
Jim
70B
69C