Re: Windshield Wiper Problem

To: "Matt Trebelhorn" <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>,
Subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Problem
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:56:35 -0500
Hi Matt.  My e-type wipers had the same issues
with performing on demand.   Fortunately, the
e-type's drive motor and gear boxes are easily
accessable.  I don't know about the B.

What I found inside the gear box was old grease
at about the consistance and appearance of a dark
brown Crayola crayon.  Inside of the motor I found
worn carbon brushes and more congealed grease.
I didn't have new brushes, although they are now
easily found, but degreasing the busings, slip
righgs, etc., was cake.  I then greased the
bushings and oiled the other bits -- as much for
rust prevention as anything else.  I also cleaned
the contacts / communtator (sp?).

The whole assembly went back together with oil in
the transfer tubes and light grease loaded into
the gearbox.  They never failed again.

rick