Re: Windshield Wiper Problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Problem
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:37:52 EDT
Matt,

I agree with the other responders' comments about the grease.  Most of the
works of the wiper can be got to under the dash, behind what is, I guess, a
padded panel in the '70 or the glove box in later years.  The motor's gears are
directly under the cover.  However, a lot of the friction may be in a lack of
lubrication in the rack that drives the two wipers from the motor.  To get that
out you have to unbolt the splined wiper--what's the right word--wiper
wheelbox studs that the wiper blades fit on.  Then the rack can drop down and
be
taken out on the passenger side without too much difficult, although I think
there
may be one support connection in the middle to deal with. Clean the rack out
with solvent and rub new grease into it. I had to replace my rack after my
splines stripped from using cheap replacement blades without sufficient spline
grooving to hold them on.
One more thing to look at is windshield friction.  Try cleaning your
windshield using a power buffer and chrome or brass cleaner.  You cannot hurt
the
glass and it actually buffs out some slight dings and ships, or makes them
refract
less light so it is easier to drive into the sun, and it removes grime that
may hinder the blade.  Also replace the blade rubber.
Finally, let me cast a vote against RainX.  I know a lot of people swear by
it, but I hated it and thought it made vision more difficult in some
situations.

Jay Donoghue
72BGT
66 Mustang

In a message dated 4/22/2004 2:04:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,