Re: overheating during tune up

To: BarrMark262@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating during tune up
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 18:50:14 -0600
First, you have to determine whether the engine was really overheating or
if its just the gauge giving a false indication of overheating. If its
really overheating, there should be symptoms like pressure buildup and
maybe some coolant release from the overflow pipe, maybe the sound of
boiling coolant.

When I had overheating in my 72B after an engine overhaul, I let the engine
cool a bit and then I removed the radiator cap. Not much  steam, level was
okay. So I warmed the car up a bit with the radiator cap off and when once
again the gauge showed the car was overheating with minimal steam coming
off the coolant, I knew the problem was in the gauge/sensor. Actually it
was the voltage stabilizer - it wasn't properly grounded. You can always
stick a thermometer in the coolant to get an accurate temperature reading.
I used to be a chemist so I can get a close idea of water temperature
through observation.

If it is overheating, a number of causes are possible including timing or
poor circulation. Again, you will need to eliminate possibilities like
verifying the timing, maybe check and make sure the thermostat is opening.
Check hoses for warmth to verify circulation. I replaced a bad water pump
once (on my Landcruiser) and found out the new water pump didn't have an
impellor - it didn't take very long for it to overheat.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B