Re: clutch went straight to the floor

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch went straight to the floor
From: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmort@bezeqint.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 23:13:09 +0200
Well, no winners, but Bill and Larry were the closest.

[Bill wrote]
> I've lost the clutch on three B's that way.  There is a sort of stirrup on
the end of the MC plunger.  This straddles the pedal and is pinned to it.
Both the pin/clevis and the holes in the stirrup wear.  It may not look like
much, but it doesn't take much to do the trick.  Replace the pin - US
hardware stores have generic ones called clevis pins.  On the holes, either
replace the stirrup, weld up the holes and re-drill, or weld washers beside
the >holes.

[larry wrote]
> If it hasn't been changed in 34 years, I'd bet on the pin at the end of
the
> clutch pedal.  Darn MGs, things keep breaking, after only 34 years.... :-)

The broken piece was actually one side of the stirrup itself.  From the
looks of it it had been broken for a while, and the cotter pin holding the
clevis to the broken part finally gave up.

> [larry wrote]Just pull off the cover over the pedals.
No doubt, as the cover was held on with what looked like a mix of mucus and
chewing gum, no screws or seals to be seen.

> [larry wrote]After a few years those little pins look more like a
crankshaft than a
> clevis pin.
Yeah, especially when instead of the pin there is a flathead machine screw
with a hole bored in the end of it for the cotter pin.  The screw had a
profile like one of those silouettes of a vase/two faces kissing.
Gee, maybe X years of wear of the screw threads in the now oval holes had
something to do with the part failing?  DPPO.

Anyway, I have rigged the pin back to the remaining side of the stirrup, so
at least I can drive.
The parts for a correct fix are on order.  Isn't that easier than trying to
improvise?

Thanks for all the help
(esp to those of you who had me ready to rip apart the whole hydraulic
system before looking for a simple mechanical failure ;-)
RMOrt.
Tel Aviv
70 roadster (improvised, but mobile)