Re: MG motivation - engine and transmission opinions.

To: <ptroot@iaces.com>
Subject: Re: MG motivation - engine and transmission opinions.
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:47:46 -0400
Paul,
Thanks for pointing out  that "...the firewall of the B needs to be cut
back on the RHS unless
you have a '77  or newer."  I couldn't remember the cut-off date for
that.

Personally, I like the supercharger kit too, but...well...I mean, it
costs more than the whole car did!  Yes, if I only had that "extra"
money lying around...

Donny V
78 MGB

Don Vierling wrote:
> Russ,
> You can check out the list archives at http://www.team.net/archive.
>
> I'm no expert on any of this, but here's my 2 cents.  I have a 78 B
> with the stock 4 cylinder and stock 4 speed trans.  I'm not a
> "performance" guy, so stock works for me (at the moment anyway).
>
> 5 speed conversions using a Ford Sierra gear-box seem simple enough.

> Kits are available with a new bell-housing, cross member and axle
for
> easy bolt up.  However, I believe a stock 4 speed O/D MGB
transmission
> would bolt right up to your engine and drive shaft.  (As for which
is
> easier...)  Obviously, cost/time issues would have to be weighed in
your
> decision.

There is also a Datsun 5-speed kit.

Any conversion (even the OD) is going to be at least $1000. Unless you
can find an OD really cheap, but then you have to think, "what's wrong
with it" and you'll want to pull it apart and rebuild.

> The MGB engine compartment is relatively long and was originally
> designed to hold a planned straight 6 cylinder (see MGC) engine.  So
> there is plenty of room for a stock V8, Rover or Buick conversion
with
> little (or no) engine bay modification.  There are some books
available

Well, no. The firewall of the B needs to be cut back on the RHS unless

you have a '77  or newer.

> on the subject.  I have not read up on any of the current V6
> conversions.  A V6 may (or may not) be easier than a V8, but there
is
> probably more support available if you decided go the V8 route.  I
have

The 60 degree V6 is apparently a very easy conversion. There are
complete "kits" available for it.  The advantage of this is you get
more
power than you can use, and just about any mechanic in America can
work
on it. It's a GM.

The downside to these is that there is absolutely no pedigree. With
the
MGBGT V8 that never came to America, you can at least claim some
historical link.  That's for you to decide if it's important.

I don't see any value in a 90 degree V6. Unless you have one laying
around, I suppose. The reason you have a 60 degree V6 is for balance
of
the engine. The 90 degree is typically a previously made V8 with 2
cylinders lopped off.

The Buick-Olds-Pontiac-Rover V8 has the 8 cylinder thing going for it.

And there are a lot of examples, a couple good books on how to, plus a
lot of support. A bit of pseudo originality and links to history are
it's advantages over the V6. Availability of parts and mechanics would

be a downside.

The transmissions for these conversions are, regular 4speed or OD for
the V8. The Rover-Triumph 5 speed for the V8. Or the Borg-Warner T-5
for
either V8 or V6.

I wonder about the differential, for either. The stock one can be
used,
I wonder if it's strong enough. I also wonder about that Quaiffe unit
in
the Moss catalog, that'd be neat (inject money here).

More brakes up front would be wanted. I know Kelvin has said that there

is a big brake kit in the works. Otherwise, there is an internet site
that shows you how to "create" BGT V8 calipers. And there are cross
drilled and/or slotted rotors available.

Probably the easiest performance upgrade (ie, inject money here) is
the
Moss Supercharger kit.  That demands a sound running engine to start
with obviously.

Next easiest would be the Cross-flow head. After getting carbs for it,

it would probably be similar in price to the Supercharger.

If only I had some money... I wouldn't know what to do. :-)

PaulR.