Re: MG motivation - engine and transmission opinions.

To: <rtneyhart@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: MG motivation - engine and transmission opinions.
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:17:54 -0400
Russ,
You can check out the list archives at http://www.team.net/archive.

I'm no expert on any of this, but here's my 2 cents.  I have a 78 B
with the stock 4 cylinder and stock 4 speed trans.  I'm not a
"performance" guy, so stock works for me (at the moment anyway).

5 speed conversions using a Ford Sierra gear-box seem simple enough.
Kits are available with a new bell-housing, cross member and axle for
easy bolt up.  However, I believe a stock 4 speed O/D MGB transmission
would bolt right up to your engine and drive shaft.  (As for which is
easier...)  Obviously, cost/time issues would have to be weighed in your
decision.

The MGB engine compartment is relatively long and was originally
designed to hold a planned straight 6 cylinder (see MGC) engine.  So
there is plenty of room for a stock V8, Rover or Buick conversion with
little (or no) engine bay modification.  There are some books available
on the subject.  I have not read up on any of the current V6
conversions.  A V6 may (or may not) be easier than a V8, but there is
probably more support available if you decided go the V8 route.  I have
also read about a Rover 4 cylinder conversion done by some shop(s) in
England.  Oh, don't forget you can also install different carburetor(s),
exhaust systems, a supercharger, crossflow heads, pistons, cams, etc.,
all in an effort to wring the most power out of the stock 4 cylinder
engine

As a start, I'd recommend getting catalogs from Moss Motors, Victoria
British, Brit-Tek, and The Proper MG for starters.  You'll probably want
a workshop manual from Haynes and/or Bentley also.  Those will get you
pointed in the right direction.  I suppose if I had to chose, I would
put a (de-smogged) 1950 CC 4 cylinder with twin SU carbs and a 4 speed
O/D transmission in my MGB.  That would still look "stock", yet maintain
the car's drivability in the "spirit" in which it was designed.

In any case, I'm sure you'll get almost as many replies as there are
list members.
Good luck!
Donny V
78 MGB

>>> RTN <rtneyhart@earthlink.net> 5/29/2004 5:03:25 AM >>>

Hello,

    I'm soon to be the owner of a 1975 (8/1975) MGB and I'm looking for

opinions concerning drive line options.  First, is there a searchable
database for topics here?  I'm sure this topic has been addressed
before.  If not, here goes...

    From what I've learned so far, there's the stock four, four with
alloy
cross flow head, conversions using the GM 60-degree V6, and conversions

using the Rover 90-degree aluminum V8.  For transmissions, I have
learned that there is a four-speed, four speed with overdrive, and
various five-speed conversions.  That said, I am looking for what
you've got powering your B/BGT and the pros and cons to each
combination.  I do have a specific question concerning conversions.  If

the factory used a 90-degree V8, why aren't there more 90-degree V6
conversions also?  It seems that other than being shorter, there would

be similar work involved in modifying the engine bay for fitting.  (I
do realize that the 60-degree V6 fits without as much (or no?) major
modifications.  Thanks.

Russ