RE: Alternatives to de-smogging

To: Stephen West-Fisher <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Alternatives to de-smogging
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:51:10 -0700 (PDT)
--- Stephen West-Fisher wrote:
> The TDI without an automatic gets
> 50mpg in the real world with
> real drivers, mix of city and highway.

Whaaaa?  That seems wildly optimistic.  I believe the
EPA rates the car somewhere around 33 city and 46
highway, and we all know that EPA ratings are usually
difficult to match in real world driving.  So I think
in real world use, the Prius would probably SHELL the
Jetta in fuel economy.  And, it would be much, much
cleaner to boot.

Then you wrote:
> Doesn't say much for hybrid technology compared
> to a computerized turbo diesel does it?

As I said, I think your numbers are inaccurate, but
even if the fuel economies were closer, it says a HECK
of a lot about hybrid technology.  The Prius is in,
what, its fourth year of production?  Fifth?  And it's
already an arguably better overall choice than an
incredibly highly developed computerized diesel, which
is an engine technology that has been around since
1982!

Hybrids are in their infancy, and if demand stays
strong, companies will bust their humps to keep
improving the technology, making the cars more
efficient, more reliable, cleaner, etc.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005