Re: Rear Drums

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Drums
From: Zach Dorsch <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:50:21 -0700 (PDT)
To answer the obvious question that I left out of the first email.  I am not
feeling pulsating as I drive my car.  The brakes were supposedly replaced right
before I bought the car 3 years ago (roughly 1000 miles ago).  When I rebuilt
the front end (kingpins, bushings, etc) and the braking system (MC, flex lines,
and some hard lines) the front brakes were indeed new, so I am assuming that at
least the back shoes are new (doubtful on the drums).

I had the B parked on a slight hill and I started rolling backward (with the
emergency brake set) and then I could feel the shoes catching.  This reminded
me of when, right before storage I was adjusting the rear brakes with the
adjusting screws and the wheels would spin for a few inches and then "grab".
This is why I believe the drums to need to be replaced.

I haven't taken anything apart yet, as my car is in storage about 2 hours away
where I have only basic hand tools.  Next time I go to drive the car I am going
to take a jack and investigate the brakes.

Thank you guys again, I was really trying to find out if the shoes and drums
are replaced at the same time.

Zach