Re: Weekend wrenching

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weekend wrenching
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:42:01 -0500
Hello Troopers,
   Short note here to encourage you...

Worked this afternoon (We work four long days and half-day Friday).

Done > + Repaint exhaust header and exhaust down-pipe.
Done > + Repaint head.
Cleaned old hardware > + Reinstall intake manifold with new hardware.
Done, see note at bottom > + Perform [cold engine] compression check.
Done > + Adjust valves.

> + Drain fuel tank, pump and lines. Replace filter.
> + Prime fuel system with fresh fuel.

Done, except aircleaner > + Reinstall carb, linkage, aircleaner.

> + Replumb vacuum advance with new vacuum hose.
> + Start engine and bring to operating temperature.
> + Adjust timing (ignition already rebuilt).
> + Adjust carb idle mixture and idle speed.
> + Test drive is rain allows.

Dry compression test results, cold engine, plugs out, open manifold
(carb off):

Cyl-1    175 psi    100%
Cyl-2    170 psi    97%
Cyl-3    160 psi    91%  (within the 10%-of-best rule
Cyl-4    174 psi    99%

I suspect cylinder #3 just has a little carbon on a valve seat.  Not
enough difference to worry about -- especially on a cold engine test.
The engine is healthy.

Best regards,

Rick