Re: Weekend wrenching

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weekend wrenching
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:47:59 -0500
Hello again,
   Just a tiny update on the Midget fuel system, seeing as how some of you
expressed interest.

Done > + Repaint exhaust header and exhaust down-pipe.
Done > + Repaint head.
Done, cleaned old hardware > + Reinstall intake manifold with new hardware.
Done, engine healthy > + Perform [cold engine] compression check.
Done > + Adjust valves.
Done > + Drain fuel tank, ...
 ...pump and lines.
Found that my floor jack was behind a bunch of boxes of junk so in
desparation, I started a garage clean-up before doing anything else.
I did find that the mechanical fuel pump is damaged.  I have an
electric pump in stock left over from my Europa project.  I will
install it in the rear near the tank, put one filter ahead of the pump
and another where the mechanical fuel pump hoses meet.

 ...Replace filter.
Please see above.

+ Prime fuel system with fresh fuel.
Done, except air cleaner > + Reinstall carb, linkage, aircleaner.
Bought new hose > + Replumb vacuum advance with new vacuum
hose.
+ Start engine and bring to operating temperature.
+ Adjust timing (ignition already rebuilt).
+ Adjust carb idle mixture and idle speed.
+ Test drive is rain allows.

Best regards,

Rick