Re: Stereo choice

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: Stereo choice
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:35:41 -0500
David Councill wrote:
> The fine print shows the shipping is $19.95 so you are really paying
> just under $75. You will likely be able to find similar pricing at Best
> Buy or Walmart. I know last time I looked, Best Buy did have several CD
> players around $90-$100, maybe even cheaper. I find cheaper ones are
> best - if they break, you just replace them. They are less likely to be
> stolen and that is critical with a convertible where tempted thieves
> will cut a top if need be to get access.

I bought a AM-FM-CD stereo, I think it was 2 years ago, at Circuit City
for $50-55. It doesn't have presets, but who cares. It works very well.
Detachable facia, is more of a pain than it's worth. I typically shove
it under the seat or something rather than carry it around.

If I have the tonneu on, I don't even bother with that.

> The detachable face is probably another modern day essential for a theft
> deterrent. You also want adequate output and fairly good speakers
> because you need high volumes when you are cruising at 65-75 mph with
> the top down. Also somewhat critical is depth of the cd player. The one
> I ended up putting in my 72B was one of my son's because it turned out
> to be almost a half inch shorter than the one I bought. It still
> slightly protrudes from the console. So on that thought, you should at
> least check and compare length at a local store first and then see how
> this ebay one matches. Otherwise, you may end up with a cd player that
> sticks out of your console an inch or so.

Mine fit ok in the '77 console. It's tight in back.

Last year I got some leather Miata seats with speakers. That helps
hearing quite a bit, but they don't have much in the low end. You still
need the speakers in the doors for some bass.

As far as quality of sound, it is a convertable, it's not like you'll
get any fidelity. Of course, I pretty much feel that way in all cars.
Then again, mostly, the only chance I get to hear music now is either
in the car or at my desk from my Mac.

Paul.