Re: Starter wire

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter wire
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:09:20 -0700
on 6/26/04 11:13 PM, Eric at eric@erickson.on.net wrote:

> Eric wrote:
>>
>> I finally have to agree with Paul on this.
>>
>> I have come to the conclusion that it has "snapped off flush with the
>> plastic moulding".
>>

> Oooops, forgot to update this for those who were hanging out for the
> answer :-)
>
> Yes, it had snapped off "flush with the plastic molding".
>
> And BTW - those who think that it should be "easy" to simply undo two
> bolts and drop the starter motor out... pfffft.  The bottom bolt doesn't
> give you very much room to move.  I couldn't fit a socket up there
> either, so it was many (many) quarter turns with a spanner in restricted
> space.

The trick is to use a long extension (longer than the starter body), or two
10" extensions.

> THEN came the frightening bit.  Working out the intricate maneuvers
> necessary to fit the darn thing between down between subframe, engine
> and assorted fittings.  My first attempts from UNDER the car (lying on
> my back) were awkward and almost convinced me that it just would not fit.
>
> My next moves from inside the engine bay on top proved to be the way
> (pull the "geared" end straight up to drop it straight down).  The
> frightening bit was suddenyl remembering my mechanic's words of warning
> where he said many people then proceed to drop the thing onto the
> concrete floor (no, I had not remembered to put a cushion on the
> concrete :-).
>
> But I managed to hold on with two fingers of my left hand and reach my
> rand hand under the car to hold the starter in place until I could crawl
> under the car to lower it gently.  If my arms were a couple of inches
> shorter that wouldn't have worked and I had seemingly gone past the
> point of no return and was having trouble pulling the starter back up.
>
> I am hoping this experience will mean that it will be easier
> re-installing it - haha sure!
>
> All this for a broken bloody wire!
>
> No-one has asked me if I am having fun yet?

If it makes you feel any better, once you memorize the intricate sequence of
moves, you can pull it strictly from the bottom in about 3 minutes. I went
through a run of 3 starters in 6 weeks once and got pretty good at it.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149