Re: Starter wire

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter wire
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:20:26 -0600
What I know is that the separate terminal was not on the older starters
(have to go off my old memory here). I know that when I bought my 71BGT,
the original starter did not have this separate terminal and I don't think
it was on the earlier starters (the one used from 68-71). When my starter
died and I replaced it, I had the separate terminal. Naturally I ignored it
and hooked the car up the way it had been - I'm thinking that particular
wire also connected to the main spade - a ring piece with the small
terminal post sticking out for the wire to attach to. Of course the car
wouldn't start or I should say, wouldn't fire until I tried the wire on
that separate terminal.

Granted this was sometime in the mid 80s so we are talking nearly 20 years
ago. But that is how I remember it and as near as I can tell, my memory is
still intact.

Moss does somewhat confirm in that they reference starter 25660 (1968-1971)
and starter 25654 (1972-1980). And both have been superceded by one unit. I
think that is the main difference - that one terminal.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B