Re: steering play

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering play
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:23:38 -0700
In theory, you can take up play in the rack by removing shims from under
that sort-of-elliptical-shaped plate where the column and rack join. But the
catch is that if rack wear is indeed the cause of perceived play, it will
have been concentrated in the center of the rack, so the effect of removing
a shim will in all likelihood be to eliminate play with the wheel centered,
but cause binding at full lock.

I might look at the tie-rod ends and other suspension components first.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149