Re: steering play

To: "Aubrey Schneider" <aschneider@shaw.ca>, "mg list"
Subject: Re: steering play
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:23:14 +0100
Depends where the play is.  It could be within the collapsible column, the
UJ, the mesh of the rack and pinion, the track-rod ends etc.  Whereas play
anywhere else is an MOT failure in the UK it seems that play within the
column is not and can be ignored, my Celica handbook says that up to 1/2" at
the steering wheel rim is acceptable. My V8 with collapsible column has 1/4"
of play and regularly passes its MOT whereas the roadster with solid column
has failed twice with a worn UJ (the 2nd time just a year after replacement
i.e. Hunt's Fifth Law).  The UJ has to be replaced, which is a bit of a
fiddle, so do the track-rod ends.  In theory the mesh of the rack and pinion
can be adjusted with shims but unless it has been incorrectly assembled in
the first place and is loose throughout its travel it is likely to be
through wear which will be greatest in the straight-ahead position.
Removing play here will likely make the steering stiff as you turn towards
either lock.

PaulH.