Backfiring question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Backfiring question
From: "Scott Regel" <Scott.Regel@dpra.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:48:14 -0500
I have a 76 B with a weber (which I hope to convert to SU's in August).
When the car is cold it backfires until it gets up to running
temperature.  Two questions....the first is a stupid one...how do I tell
if it is coming thru the intake manifold or thru the exhaust manifold?
It makes a spitting noise not a loud bang, so I am assuming it is coming
thru the carb right?  The second question I'm sure you see coming...what
is causing this?  Timing looks good (Lumination), haven't checked for
any vacuum leaks, possible valve or head problems?  It's just annoying
as I pull out of my driveway (being the second to last house in the
neighborhood) and have to climb a small hill.  It makes the dog bark
like crazy and the neighbors turn their heads!  I got my neighbor across
the street interested in LBC's, but I think the sputtering scared him
into buying a TR6 instead of an MG!  Ahhhhh!  Help!

TIA

Scott and Spot

76B