Re: Front spring compression tool

To: jasonspaeth@hotmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front spring compression tool
From: MGBnutt@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:38:07 EDT
Jason,
I read your e-mail completely and an inexpensive spring compressor set is
available from Harbor Freight for $10.99.  Check it out at:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3980

Although you might be able to get something similarly cheap from your local
auto store.  (However, I don't know if you can fit something like that
in-between the suspension bits - the pan assembly and the cross-member will
probably
be in the way...)

Regarding the tube shock conversion, anecdotal evidence from the list seems
to point most MGB owners BACK towards the original Armstrong lever shocks.
However, here's some links you might find useful:

There's a do-it-yourself conversion from Paul Tegler here:
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/tubeshocks.htm
A page of advice and suggestions from Skye Pointer here:
http://www.mgbexperience.com/service/rear-shock.html
Tube shock problems from Motorhead Ltd:
http://www.motorheadltd.com/tubeshock.htm
And the Autoist's home-grown conversion:
http://www.theautoist.com/RearSuspension.htm

Good Luck!
Donny V
78 MGB

In a message dated 7/11/2004 11:19:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,