Re: SU Fuel Pump Tip

To: ptegler@cablespeed.com, MG Mail List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU Fuel Pump Tip
From: John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:32:16 -0700
Paul,

Thanks!   I remember your problem from a few years back.  As a matter of
fact I had suggested a fix  (drill a vent hole in your fuel cap).   If you
look back through the e mail you received, you'll see one from me.

In my case I have a high compression ~9.4:1, with  a Piper fast road 270
cam, ported head, HIF4's and ABD needles.

I am running a Lucas replacement distributor intended for the early high
compression engines.  My rear HIF carb  has been drilled to provide ported
vacuum.

All was great until my pump points deteriorated.  Although the pump still
pumped and tested ok, it's output at higher RPM's had deteriorated due to
the burnt points.   At idle and low speed cruise, the problem did not occur.

Since the MGB manuals do not list a suggested maintenance schedule for fuel
pump points, I thought I would pass along my findings.

John