Re: Billet shift knobs

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Billet shift knobs
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:27:53 -0700
Doh! How much sun hits it in a GT????

on 7/20/04 10:40 PM, James Nazarian at jhn3@uakron.edu wrote:

> I'd like to point out that I have a two piece aluminum knob in my V8 and in
> 18k miles I can't say that it has ever gotten more than warm.  Kelvin's
> disclaimer still applies tho.
>

> James Nazarian
> 71 MGBGT V8
> 71 MGB Tourer

The situation to which I was facetiously referring in my original post was
that of returning to a car that had been parked in the California sun for
upwards of ten minutes. The exposed aluminum rim of the steering wheel is at
that point too hot to touch; ergo, I was postulating that an aluminum
gearshift knob would become equally untouchable. Regarding your GT, I think
you must be referring to the transmission heat which causes the shifter
handle to become noticeably warm after driving -- I don't think one would
have to worry about the shift knob becoming unbearably hot from this cause,
at least not if one had any oil in the transmission.

As for bad driving habits, it wasn't a matter of habitually resting one's
hand on the shift knob, but of merely touching it briefly to put it in
neutral in order to start the car, that had me concerned (in a
tongue-in-cheek manner, that is).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149