RE: Bearing Replacement

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bearing Replacement
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:31:48 -0600
Tim, your present oil pressure isn't bad at all.  However, you are correct
in assuming that it is a good idea to replace the bearings.  Those are the
most common failure points on the MGB engine.

You could replace the big end bearing with the engine in place, you'll never
be able to replace all the mains.  You might as well bite the bullet and
remove the engine. Having the engine on a stand is much better than lying
under the car with oil dripping on your face.

The problem you will face is what to do when the engine is out?  Why not
pull the head, and measure the bores.  Hmm the head is off, wouldn't it be a
good time to do a valve job?  Measuring the bore means the pistons are out,
why not install new rings?  Installing new rings, why not hone the
cylinders..... You get the idea.

Good luck.

Larry Hoy