Re: Bearing Replacement

To: <Timfboston@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bearing Replacement
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:17:54 +0100
What "recommended 30,000 mi big end bearing and 50,000 main bearing/thrust
washer replacement"?  That's a new one on me.

There are Fram oil filters, Fram oil filters, and Fram oil filters i.e.
three 'grades' and in an oil filter study they were shown to have quite
different qualities of materials and construction -
http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstu
dy.html

Anything that causes low oil pressure through the engine can cause damage,
but unless you have done some driving at a low oil pressure (and the latter
figures you quote aren't) there is unlikely to be any damage anyway.  Given
the problems you have with getting the oil pressure gauge working again I'd
check the oil pressure with an independent gauge before doing any work.

> "recommended 30,000 mi big end bearing and 50,000 main bearing/thrust
washer replacement....  Changed the Fram oil filter and got a higher reading
65 on start up and 50-55 warm.