Rack boots don't fit

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rack boots don't fit
From: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:56:21 -0700
OK, time for some more help. Years ago I bought a set of steering rack
boots and clamps for my '57 MGA. Finally got around to putting them on
today as I finish my 'renovation' of the car. The problem is that the
large opening of the boots is way too large to fit on the rack mounting
lips. Apparently I was sold the wrong ones. Being fearful of ordering
and getting new ones with the same problem, I'd like some help from you
good folks.

The new boots I was trying to install have a part number on the box of
BHM 7124. On the boot itself, there is a number WI6 467 AR  3. ( The 'I'
could be a '1', I suppose). The inside diameter of the big opening is 1
7/8 inches.

The OD of the rack mounting flange for the big end of the boot to fit is
about 1 5/8 inches. Can someone confirm that the parts carried by Moss,
Victora British, etc. are the correct size, or did that DPO install a
non-standard rack?

Thanks for your help.

Howard Battan
Auburn, WA