Re: Oil for Overdrive Transmission

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil for Overdrive Transmission
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:09:44 EDT
Synthetic oil may work on the street - I have heard people say so - but  it
does not work in racing. You will burn the clutch facings out. I have no
experience with the synthetics that are not supposed to do that, the so-called
transmission synthetics, but I wouldn't want to toast my OD unit trying to
prove
that they work.

It isn't a matter of fast shifting, as I don't do that. It is a matter of
enough friction for the friction facings to grab and hold. Obviously there is
more torque to deal with on a race car than a street car.

I'm not sure that detergent oil is much of a problem. In any case I have
always used 20/50 on the street and straight 40 or 50 in the race cars. You
can't use OD for the first lap, but it means that a half hour later when the
oil
is 230 deg.+ you still have some protection.

Bill